Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wally Pleasant - Houses of the Holy Moly (Miranda, 1994)

Proof that music can be, and should be, more fun, Wally Pleasant adds some humor to the catalog with Houses of the Holy Moly. I'll admit that I thought he was from Dallas until just now when I actually read the liner notes and realized he is from, and still performs in, East Lansing, Michigan - who knew? I only saw him live once at a Barnes and Noble in Ft. Worth and Josh and Kevin played Alternateen (linked here) regularly on the Adventure Club (including a hilarious local promo spot by Wally for the show), so I can see how I would make that assumption. Alternateen was my introduction to Wally and what made me become an instant fan after hearing the first 30 seconds of the song, maybe because, well, I was sort of who he was poking fun at. There's a part of me that believes he was too which makes me feel better. Every one of these songs on Houses of the Holy Moly is clever and classic in it's own right (Mr. Pleasant even helps you record a new answering machine message at the end). The titles alone will bring a smirk to your cheeks, among them Post Graduate Overeducated Out of Work Blues, Dysfunctionally Yours, Toxic Waste Block Party. I will leave you a bonus of multiple lines from a few of my favorite songs on this record.

"The day Kurt Cobain died, we both held each other and cried, but you made me feel a lot better, when you said thank god it wasnt Eddie Vedder" - Alternateen

"I've got nowhere else to go and nothing else to do, except stare at this bright yellow menu, I wish I hadn't ordered that god damn grand slam, Denny's at 4am" - Denny's at 4am 

"Now basically I feel so traumatized about my stupid day job that I'm gonna try and start singing like Morissey now, Stupid day job stupid day job stupid day job aahhh ahhh ahh stupid day job" - Stupid Day Job


No comments:

Post a Comment