Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pinback - Blue Screen Life (Ace Fu, 2001)

So far, this record represents the biggest "oh yeah!" (more of the forehead smacking than Kool-aid man version) moment of this project. Neglected is a better word than forgotten for Pinback's Blue Screen Life when I consider how often I scroll past this band and this record on my iPod. Pinback was a recommendation from my music shaman, Andy, as a "must check out." It got to the point where once or twice a year, when we met up in Dallas, Andy and I would spend about five minutes catching up on life, and then spend the next twenty asking "have you heard so and so" and "oh, dude, you need to hear this band." Invariably he would list about twenty, I would remember about ten, all of which I would love. For every five albums he gets me into, I maybe have one that I introduced to him, and maybe he liked it. Over the years, I have learned a few of his secret resources just enough to feel like I can keep up.

Many things make Blue Screen Life a truly complete record that can stand alone from start to finish. But the biggest reason it's cool to me is the fact that it's two guys writing, playing and recording in "zach's living room, rob's bedroom, donny's garage and tom's garage." I broke my rules and listened to this record a few times and kept discovering things I hadn't heard before. Penelope, Seville and Prog are tracks that grabs you in the first 10 seconds, but there are plenty of others that take patience before you start to realize their beauty, like Boo, Your Sickness and Tres. I actually never knew the words Prog until digging into the liner notes, but its not one that you have to know the words to love it. No offense to the lyrics, which I already forgot, its just that the music has all the legs this songs needs to stand up big among some of my favorites.

"anything I say to you is gonna come out wrong anyway" - Concrete Sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment